Community Development Consultant – Oil, Gas and Mining
Executive Director / Founder, Independent Social Performance
Jordon in 10 seconds:
- Over 15 years of experience in the extractive industry working with NGOs, indigenous communities, Shell International, and Barrick Gold.
- Experience predominately during exploration stages of extractive projects. This includes significant experience in new country entry and Community Development Agreements.
- Direct project field experience in over 20 countries.
- Trained practitioners in Kenya, South Sudan, Nigeria, Zambia, Chile, Peru, Canada, the USA, The Netherlands, and the United Kingdom — as well as fellow community relations and social performance staff and managers at Shell and Barrick Gold.
- Academic training: Hydrogeological Engineering, Anthropology, Educational and Social Research Methods, Scenario Planning
My experience at a glance:
- Founded Independent SP 3 years ago
- 7 years working an Oil and Gas Company (Shell)
- 2 years working for Indigenous Communities (ACFN)
- 1.5 years working for a Mining Companies (Barrick Gold)
- 2 years consulting for Oil, Gas and Mining Companies
“Estoy siempre interesado para trabajar en América Central y América Sur. Vivió en Argentina e hizo parte de mis estudios en la Universidad de Mar del Plata. En los últimos años, trabajado para proyectos de exploración minera en Colombia, Chile y Perú.”
“I started Independent SP out of a passion for wanting to remain a practitioner – to stay close to the frontline of the work done with communities to minimize social impacts and maximize socio-economic benefits.”
Where my project work has been: (last updated December 2015)
Shell's Social Performance Handbook
Jordon received an individual performance award at Shell International for his work co-leading the development of the Shell Social Performance Handbook.
Barrick Gold's Exploration Community Relations Guide Books
Jordon developed Barrick’s Exploration Community Relations Guide Books and associated training programme which he piloted in Papua New Guinea and then delivered in Nevada, Chile, Peru, and Zambia,